A rare event happened on my last day at office. About when, I was packing my stuff and starting to leave, I received a call from my senior colleague. He said he wanted to say something. We went inside a meeting room to talk.
‘Anil, I was writing an email to you. It mostly had things that I wanted to say to you. But then, I thought, it’s probably better for me to say it directly to you. Whatever I say will not be organized. It is just a bunch of random thoughts that I have.’
‘OK’ I replied.
‘Fine, let me start.
I have learnt many things from reading your blogs. I have come to know how deep thinker you are. I am inspired seeing how you take time to do social work…’
And then he went on to say several good things about me and few instances where he did not agree with me.
Now, I will never forget this event. For two reasons:
- It is very uncommon to say uncommon stuff to people. We simply keep it to ourselves, because we don’t want to look like an idiot. My colleague did something that I never seen anyone in my circle do. This was inspiring.
- It is rare to forget good about you on your last day at your last office (probably). It was unexpected positivity
I learnt a lesson from him.
We all seek human connection. And that happens when we express our heart out.
- The teacher whom you liked very much, but did not care to say it to them, of how much the teacher meant to you.
- The friend who you value very much, but never said how much you loved him. (Though if you say this literally, there is a tiny possibility of you being (mis)understood to be gay)
- The beautiful girl in your college/office whom you liked very much but were scared to express.
Extroverts, introverts or ambiverts, all of us have something to say. Something to express. But expressing what is truly in one’s heart is difficult. Because we are scared of being judged, because it sounds ridiculous.
Here is the thing: Life is simple. I know you have many things to say to many lovely people around. Life will only get complicated by not saying what one wants to. Say it, for your heart will get lighter and you will be glad you did. Sure, it would be weird, uncommon, but worth it.
Nowadays, almost all capable people are terribly afraid of being ridiculous, and are miserable because of it.
~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky
What is that one thing that you wanted to say but didn’t?
Thanks Gadl for the photo